TO BE APPROVED
All church volunteers whose role includes dealing with children/youths (Religious Education teachers, aides, substitutes, babysitters, CYO coaches and certain other church volunteers) are required to obtain approval to work with children prior to their role beginning. The approval consists of passing a Background Check, reviewing and signing a Code of Conduct form and attending a Virtus class (Protecting God’s Children) workshop.
The first step in the approval process is the Background Check. Internet Background Checks are conducted to confirm that an individual does not have a criminal history. For parish employees and volunteers, a previous fingerprint clearance letter is acceptable if the letter is less than 3 years old. Individuals cannot begin to work with children until the Background Check is completed. The following are the steps for submitting for a Background Check:
Access and print the Sterling Background Check Form. The following information must be included on the form:
Page 1 Fields That Must Be filled Out
- Applicants First and Last Name (Top of the Page)
- Applicants Signature and Date (Bottom of the Page)
Page 2 Fields That Must Be filled Out
- Applicants First Name, Middle Initial and Last Name
- Applicants Date of Birth
- Applicants Social Security Number
- Applicants Current and Previous Addresses
- Applicants email Address if Available
- Today’s Date (Date Application is Signed by Applicant)
- Applicants Signature (Bottom of the Page)
Please note: Both pages of the form must be signed and dated by the applicant.
Code of Conduct
The Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People was established by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The Code of Conduct is a document that states the Clergy and other church personnel (parish employees, volunteers, etc.) must follow standards of behavior and integrity. All church personnel are required to review and sign the Code of Conduct document. The following are the steps for reading and signing the Code of Conduct:
Review and fill out the attached Code of Conduct as follows:
• Please read these pages.
Page 12 All Fields Must Be Filled Out
• Signature: Applicant Signature
• Date: Date of Applicants Signature
• Print Name: Applicants Printed Name
• Address: Applicants Address
• Phone: Applicants Phone Number
• Please choose the roles(s) you serve in the Diocese: Check either Employee or Volunteer
• Parish, School, Agency, Religious Community or Organization: St Elizabeth Ann Seton
• Location: 61 Main Street, Flanders, NJ 07836
Please note: Page 12 of the form must be signed and dated by the applicant.
Protecting God’s Children Workshop
All personnel working with children and youth must participate in a VIRTUS workshop. The VIRTUS workshop is an instructional course entitled “Protecting God’s Children” that teaches safety standards for the protection of children and young people. Furthermore, it instructs adults how to be aware of situations where children and young people may be in danger of a predator, or their safety is compromised. It also helps adults recognize signs that a minor has been abused. The VIRTUS workshop is offered at various locations in the diocese. The following are the steps for scheduling a VIRTUS workshop:
Access the VIRTUS website here.
- Select the Paterson, NJ (Diocese) from the Select Your Organization Pull Down Menu
- Review the Scheduled VIRTUS Workshops to determine the session you want to attend.
- Select the Start Registration Button
- Follow the Prompts to Create a User ID and Password (Includes Contact Info)
- Enter your Role as Volunteer
- Enter your Church as St Elizabeth Ann Seton Church
- Select a Location, Date and Time
- Finalize Registration
- Print the Registration Confirmation Sheet
Submitting Approval Request Documents
Please send the completed Background Check Form, Code of Conduct Signature Form and a copy of the VIRTUS Registration Sheet to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Religious Parish, Attn: Dick Wertz, 61 Main Street, Flanders, NJ 07836 or drop them at either the Church office or Religious Education office. Once you have completed the VIRTUS workshop, please send a copy of the VIRTUS Attendance Certificate to the above address.
Please Note: All information submitted is stored in locked file cabinets with access restricted.